Friday, April 4, 2014

Little Happies: Joyful Pictures


I'm joining in on this week's Little Happies a little late. It's been hard to sit down at the computer lately, but I really wanted to join in this week because I love going through pictures. So here are some of my favorite pictures. Head over to Blessed to Be to check out the link-up.

-one-

In college I was very involved in the retreat program through our church. This was a shopping trip for food for one of the retreat weekends. It was my first time on team and one of my favorite experiences from college. Through this retreat program I increased my faith, met some of my best friends, and most importantly met my husband.

-two-

This was taken at one of the formals that was thrown by several members of our retreat program/church each semester. It was always a huge event for us and such a blast. It was tradition to join arms in a circle and sing/dance to "American Pie" at the end of the night. 

-three-

Kristin and I met on our first Koinonia retreat in college. We were instant friends. In fact, we realized we had so much in common that we called each other Ditto. Kristin has become one of my best friends, and I am so blessed to have her in my life. This picture was taken in the back seat of a van on our way to Mississippi for a spring break service trip. That trip was filled with so many wonderful memories and lots of laughs.

-four-

I shared an apartment with my cousin, Lindsay, for the last two years of college. We had a lot of fun together, including dance parties on the breakfast bar.

-five-

To this day, my 22nd birthday was my favorite. Dan planned an amazing night in Chicago. We went to one of our now favorite restaurants, Wildfire followed by cocktails and dessert at the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor of the Hancock building. It was such a fun night and very special for me.

-six-

This was taken at our bridal shower in Effingham. Both of our families were there, and this is one of the only pictures I have of our entire family together. We are very fortunate that our families get along very well, and my parents usually come down to stay with us at Dan's family's house once a year. We are so blessed.

-seven-

I of course have to include a picture from our wedding day. Do I really need to explain this one?

-eight-

This is still one of my favorite pictures from our wedding day. It has always felt like a sneak peek into the future of the amazing dad that Dan would become. 

-nine-

Ah...paradise. I absolutely loved our honeymoon in the Bahamas. I would love to go back there someday. It was beautiful, relaxing, and so much fun. We also got to swim with the dolphins, which is something I have always wanted to do. 

-ten-

Receiving my Masters degree in Speech Pathology was one of my proudest moments. I worked extremely hard to get there, and talk about an incredible sense of relief at graduation! And I now have a job that I love. 

-eleven-

This picture was taken at our friend's Deaconate ordination. He is now a priest. In fact, he is the priest who baptized Nathan :)

-twelve-

Carolyn (the bride) is one of my best friends. We have been friends since kindergarten. We have a very special friendship that even when we go months without seeing each other, we can always pick up right where we left off. We've been through so much together, including both of our weddings.

-thirteen-

This is one of our favorite Halloween costumes, Doug Funny and Patty Mayonnaise. We had so much fun putting these costumes together. 

-fourteen-

We love the way we celebrate New Year's. We celebrate with our closest friends at our house in our pjs and usually spend the night playing games and occasionally dancing on the Xbox Kinect. 

-fifteen-

Also taken at one of our New Year's Eve bashes, the boys playing one of their nerdy games. And yes, Dan is in a onesie. He took PJ party to the extreme. In college, the girls in our group of couples were close and we hoped that some day our future husbands would be friends as well. I'd say that this picture proves that we have succeeded.

-sixteen-

I'm so blessed to have these ladies in my life. They are my best friends and like family to me. I love their kids like they are my nieces and nephew, and I know they think of Nathan in the same way. So blessed.

-seventeen-


Our first moments with our sweet son! I still can't believe I am writing about my son- my son. Eeee! So blessed!

-eighteen-

It has been really neat watching my brothers become uncles. I knew they would love their nephew, but their love for him is so apparent all the time. They absolutely love spending time with him and I know will always look out for him.

-nineteen-

I'd like to call this picture Answered Prayers. Megan has been such an incredible support for me throughout all of our infertility and our roller coaster ride through adoption. She was there with us the night of our failed adoption, and she was one of the first to meet Nathan when we brought him home. After a long road for both of us, we have our sweet little miracles, within 10 weeks of each other! God is so good! Not to mention, Mary Claire is my very first God child, and I am so honored to play such an important role in this sweet girl's life.

-twenty-

This picture cracks me up! I didn't even realize he made this face until I loaded the pictures to the computer. Without fail, this little man makes me laugh several times a day.

-twenty-one-

I was going to do 20 pics, but I can't leave this one off. This is it, I promise. This is my absolute favorite picture of Nathan. It melts my heart every time I look at it. This little boy has brought us so much joy! Love :)








6 comments:

  1. Great Little Happies post! I especially LOVED seeing the game Dominion in that New Year's game pic! :) Very fun and addictive game!!! I also just made the connection that although I have not met you - we know a LOT of the same people. I have met many people from your photos above and it reminded me of what a small world it can be! I worked for FOCUS at U of Illinois for four years and have spent my fair share of time in good old Effingham/Teutopolis area.

    We are just now about to submit our adoption application and I've been feeling nervous but seeing your photos, many linked to the joy of adoption, have given me a lot of courage and hope! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's crazy that we have that connection. I'm so excited for you starting the adoption process. It is certainly an emotional rollercoaster, but it is so worth it! Let me know if you ever have any questions. Are you in Illinois? If you don't mind me asking, what agency are you going through? If you don't want to respond publicly, feel free to email me at the address in the tab on the side of that page. Prayers!

      Delete
    2. I love the small world! Beautiful thing! This post made me grin from ear to ear. I love the picture of us as mommies! We both look so sleepy but so happy all at the same time. :) I can't believe that thug picture of us didn't make the cut...haha! :)

      Delete
    3. Hey there again! I no longer live in Illinois. As of Summer of 2012, we moved to Colorado. I really really miss Illinois though, wonderful place I think of very often. We found an agency here in Denver that other couples have highly recommended. Thank you for being willing to let me ask questions. As we begin this journey, I am sure I will have questions I can't even think of right now! I will email you as they come up! :) God bless!

      Delete
  2. I love every one of these pictures so much! Especially the Doug Funny/Patty Mayonnaise one (GREAT costumes) and, of course, the pics with little Nathan. He looks like such a charmer in that last picture. :)

    Also, for some reason, this post just reminded me of this. Have you heard of Red Thread Sessions? I totally plan on taking advantage of this wonderful program once we adopt. Photographers will take professional pics of adoptive families for free! If you want prints, you'll probably have to pay for those, by the session fee is free! You just have to find a participating photographer near you. Just thought I'd throw this out there because it sounds awesome!! Here's their site: http://www.redthreadsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have heard of that before, but I couldn't remember the name of it. So thank you! We recently had 3 month pictures done with a photographer that my mother-in-law knows of, but it would certainly be nice to get a free session some time :)

      Delete