Thursday, May 8, 2014

Misplaced Anger

So lately I've been reflecting a bit on our overall adoption journey. What keeps coming to mind is the anger that I experienced throughout the process. I was constantly snapping at my husband over silly things, especially on a particularly stressful day. I also found myself vowing I would never ever return to our agency. I started blaming them for the wait and for all the heartache that I was experiencing. We did have some experiences that I still have to say I had every right to be upset with them about, but really at the end of the day, I was just angry that my child wasn't yet in my arms. And that kind of anger brought out the ugly in me.

I am in fact clothed in this picture... good old strapless dress ;)
As we started the adoption process, I felt in control. We cranked out all our paperwork, and we moved through the early stages quickly. Then the actual wait began. As time went on, the illusion of me having control over the process quickly began to fade away. And as I felt that loss of control throw me into a whirlwind, I blamed everyone else. To me at that time, it was clearly the agency's fault that the first match we were in fell through (even though that's not the case). So as I experienced that loss, I was angry with the agency and really the world. I let myself mourn the loss for months, and as I did I was just so angry. I kept replaying those moments of pure bliss over and over in my head and thinking of what could have been. What was the purpose of it all? Why did it even happen in the first place? It just didn't seem right to me, and it really took a good year or so to let it go. (insert Frozen soundtrack...sorry it's getting late and my inhibitions just aren't kicking in).

Looking back on everything, I now realize how misplaced my anger was. I blamed the agency because it was easy to do. Going through infertility, the adoption process, an intense adoption loss, and several calls that went no where took a huge toll on me. It's incredibly emotional with so many highs and lows. So yes, I was angry. Things weren't going my way, and for several years at that. This was certainly the most trying experience of my life. What's my point? I guess I'm just finally owning up to my anger and admitting that this whole adoption thing is HARD. I'm on the other side now, Praise the Lord! The anger has lifted, and suddenly I love my agency because they brought me my sweet son. So yea, we will probably go back. I no longer associate them with heartache. There's a good chance I'll experience the anger and frustration again when we begin our next adoption journey. Maybe it's not the best way to be, but it's how I survived. It almost seemed easier to be angry than to deal with the heartache.

So for those of you in the thick of it, if you are experiencing the anger and frustration... own it. Feel it, talk about it, and work through it. I'll tell you right now that those days that I was honest with myself and let it all out were the biggest relief ever. The longer I held it in, the more misplaced it became. And know that you are not alone. After a while, I finally realized that I didn't have to put on a happy face every day or be the strong one. Let's be honest, these journeys to motherhood that we are going through/have gone through are rough. They are the road less traveled, which can make it feel that much lonelier. I have found though that even though people may not fully grasp the pain of it all, they so desperately want to be there for us in the best way they know how. Even though I just wanted to quietly long for my sweet little one, allowing other people in was really what I needed.

I've also figured out the best thing of all. I speak as though I'm some great expert, and I'm so totally and completely not! So take it or leave it. I feel like I can compare adoption to childbirth in a sense. You always hear people say that they forget about the immense pain of childbirth when they see their sweet little one. While adoption is a little different, I feel like it's similar in that sense. Some of the pain will always be there, but I feel like it's so far removed at this point. Soooo far removed. Now that our son is home with us, our hearts are filled with joy. We would go through it all again in a heartbeat. All the anger and pain just doesn't seem so bad anymore, even though I openly admit it was a rough couple of years. He was entirely worth it. Sure, I wish it was an easier road, but it led me to the most perfect addition to our family. Not only is the anger gone, but I feel so immensely blessed. I know it's so much easier for me to say it now that I'm on the other side, but I do believe that these ridiculously heart wrenching journeys always bear fruit. No, we don't know what God has in store. Maybe another child is not in His Will for me, and just the thought of that kills me... but the journey will be fruitful in some way. And I think that is one thing that we can all hold on to at the end of the day. Our Father will take care of us. He will give us strength and help us to bear the weight of the cross. And if we get angry sometimes, so be it.

8 comments:

  1. This post is fantastic! Thank you for sharing and being honest about your feelings. It's so helpful to hear because I totally already feel a little bit of anger bubbling up in me. Yikes! I better hold on tight because I'm probably in for a bumpy ride!! I especially identified with this line -- "As time went on, the illusion of me having control over the process quickly began to fade away." I really thought adoption would be easier because I'd have more control over the situation. Oops. Clearly not the case AT ALL. Also, I really like having a great support system and letting people in on some of the frustrations/sadness I'm feeling, but I do not like AT ALL when people ask me every time they see me (sometimes more than once a week!!) if I have any adoption news to share. GRRRR! I promise, if I have something to share I'm either going to... 1.) Not be able to keep it a secret and already have shared it with you or 2.) I'm at a point where it's probably a bad idea to share details, so I can't tell you anything yet anyway. Did you experience that while you guys were in waiting? I know these folks are just being sweet and it's better they're thinking of me and supporting me than not at all, but still!!! I've started saying, "When I know, you'll know" or something like that, to give them the kind to stop asking. Hopefully it works. :) And finally, I totally have a draft post in my post list called "How Adoption is Sometimes Like Pregnancy" or something like that. Maybe we should co-write it!! You have some great insight, especially that last point you made... it's just like forgetting the pains of childbirth once you hold that little one in your arms. Let me know if you have other good ideas to add!! :) And thanks again for this AWESOME post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *to give them the kind to stop asking = to give them the HINT to stop asking

      Delete
  2. First of all, I love the idea you have for a post. I'd love to co-write it :) I absolutely love your blog and writing style! I do have a couple ideas if you want to collaborate at all :) As for people asking lots of questions, we definitely had that happen a lot- mostly in the beginning. We waited for over two years, so over time people stopped asking. As annoying as it was being asked more often than necessary, it was kind of depressing when people stopped asking too because it was like they were losing hope too. So I definitely had mixed feelings about it. I did find though that if I ever brought the topic up myself, people were eager to talk with me about everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I love YOUR blog and YOUR writing style, so let's do this! Just sent you an email with more deets. ;)

      Also, I see what you're saying about losing hope when people stop asking. That makes a lot of sense and I hadn't even thought of it. Thanks for the heads up. Gotta remember that it's probably better they're asking me about it than just having no hope for us and not wanting to hear our story.

      Delete
  3. Lisa. I love this post...I could relate in so many ways. Thank you for being honest and letting us all process this journey along with you. Praise God for your precious son...clearly God knew what he was doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting is hard...and the longer it goes on....the harder it is NOT to feel anger. I keep wondering why we haven't been "chosen" yet. I keep wondering what makes us special and different from all the other couples also waiting. There are a lot of other agencies out there too...now that we are in the trenches...I'm seeing all the "competition"..if you will. At this point I just remind myself to trust in the Lord and if we were meant to adopt HE will make it happen. Right now, I'm really beginning to think that this might not happen..and I'm trying not to be angry. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely hard, and I totally experienced all that. It's so hard not to start comparing yourself to everyone else out there and wondering why it's not happening. It's definitely a test of patience and trust. I was not very good at either of those! Praying that your wait won't be much longer.

      Delete
  5. Sooooooooo glad your son is home. It's scary to let those emotions out, but you're right, they are there and real. Glad having your little guy here has helped. Excited for our chance someday.

    ReplyDelete