Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

A friend of mine from the Cradle posted this article today, and I loved it! I recommend taking a few minutes to read it by going to this link:


How do you define motherhood?


I am not going to sit here and lie and say that the journey to adoption is an easy one. It is certainly something that takes time to be ready for both mentally and emotionally. It is as if God is constantly molding your heart, slowly preparing it for this incredible love. It may have taken us a bit of a journey to get to this point, but I have to agree with the author to that article. Adoption is by no means a back-up plan or a second-rate choice. I am honored to have been chosen to go on this journey. I am blessed that God gave us an up-hill battle to becoming parents. Without this journey, we would not have met these incredible birth parents. We have been a witness to true unconditional selfless love between a couple and for their unborn baby girl. We have been embraced by a family who may give us the greatest gift we could ever imagine, a precious child. As we wait for her arrival, I already know that if she is placed with us, we will love her to the moon and back. Our love will be no different than if I had carried her for 9 months. Sure, we will have some catching up to do ;) But at the end of the day, we will be her mommy and daddy. 


For now, we eagerly await her arrival just like any other couple. We have her pictures on our fridge (a beautiful Mother's Day gift from the birth mother), and we have been shopping for all of the little necessities. We hope and pray that she will join our family and will feel blessed beyond our wildest dreams. I've come to realize, a pregnancy is only 9 months (yes 9 beautiful months- I'm certainly not denying that) but raising your child- that's a lifetime. It's a lifetime of being a mommy and all the hugs and kisses, sickness, temper tantrums, and giggles that go along with it. 


I'm not going to act like I'm never going to yearn to be pregnant. I think for a woman, that is nearly impossible. It's just a part of who I am. But I can honestly say, I can see how it has slowly subsided. What is more important is being a mom. As that author so beautifully described in that article:

"Maybe I will get pregnant one day, maybe I won't, but it doesn't matter to me any more. Adoption and pregnancy bring the same results: A child is welcomed into the arms of parents who have been waiting for her, expectantly and impatiently."

I couldn't say it any better myself. As we wait for baby girl, I know we will love her beyond measure, just as much as we would had she grown with us for 9 months. Love you baby girl! We hope you join our family soon!


Happy Mother's Day to all mothers and expectant mothers, whether through adoption or pregnancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment