Wednesday, April 24, 2013

It Was Worth It

So tonight I just completed my first year of being a catechist for religious education at my parish. For much of this school year, I have spent my Wednesday nights trying to keep a class of third graders under control and hopefully teaching them something about our faith. I will never forget one of the first classes when one of my students prayed for diamonds when I asked them to share intentions during our prayer time. I didn't know whether to laugh or throw my hands up and walk out of the room. But as the weeks went on, the kids began to show me so much beauty in their own faith. Words came out of that same little boy's mouth only weeks later that stunned me regarding Christ dying for us. It was like God was saying, "Give these kids a chance. They have a lot to teach you too."

As the year went on I did notice a transformation in all of us. They became more conscious of the needs of everyone around them. They started thinking of some really amazing questions about our faith... a lot of things I had to go home and double check on myself. And those questions sparked many long conversations between myself and Dan that I am so grateful we had. Those conversations have been some of the most beautiful moments in our marriage because I absolutely love that we can share so much with one another through our faith.

As things have gotten crazy at work and as spring started to fill the air for these third graders, everything seemed to be complete chaos the past few weeks. I had just about given up on trying to get through to them. And then came tonight... that last class. As a catechist, I can only hope that I taught them something this year. After a really loud and overly energized class tonight, one of the parents approached me to say thank you. And what she said left me with tears in my eyes. She said that her daughter has learned more this year than any other year. And more importantly, her daughter has been waking up Sundays and bringing their family back to Mass. Praise the Lord! That one conversation made the entire year completely worthwhile.

So even though lately I feel myself asking God Why??? an awful lot. Why are we still waiting for our child? I am seeing some of the ways He has moved my life in this time before baby. I never would have signed up to teach once we had a baby. I wouldn't have wanted to leave him/her more than the few days I have to work. But now that I have seen how much teaching has helped me to grow in my faith, my marriage, and even moved some of these kids... I know that no matter what comes up, teaching religious ed is COMPLETELY worth the sacrifice.

1 comment:

  1. There are so many things in my life that I wouldn't have done or experienced if we had conceived on "our time" schedule. While I'm not sure it's possible to compare and say this is better than that or anything like that, I am grateful for the things I've done (like teach RCIA for children and take the job I currently have).

    I agree, teaching religious ed is awesome! I learn something new every year and my faith grows deeper every year as well.

    ReplyDelete