Saturday, October 5, 2013

7 Quick Takes #3

I haven't really had much time or motivation to write anything lately, so I guess doing a quick takes link-up is a good place to start. So here goes. Since work has been the main thing going on right now, that's what I'm focusing on this time. I guess a break from the baby drama isn't the worst thing once in a while.

Have I mentioned how much I love the new class on my caseload? (at my new school, not the rough one) Oh, let me count the ways...

1. I love the staff that I work with. The teacher is Catholic, as in we sit at lunch and have conversations about it. It's pretty wonderful! And her uncle is a priest. It's just so darn refreshing!

2. I laugh or hold back a laugh at least 10 times a day! We have kids breaking into yoga poses randomly, squirrel funerals (see #4), one kid telling another to "Get outta here!" and using it quite appropriately I must say, a little dance we call the Friday dance, and a little peanut whose giggle is just infectious.

3. We take a community trip almost every Friday. And we are talking fun stuff here... mini golfing, apple orchard, McDonalds, the library, just to name a few.

4. They named a squirrel that hangs out near the school (probably actually several different squirrels) Chewy. They recently witnessed Chewy's friend Thewy get hit by a car. May he rest in peace.
Orginal photo here

5. When asked his favorite restaurant, one of the kids was trying to think of the name of his. He said, "It starts with an S (turns out it was an H), has two O's, and there's an owl!" Anyone wanna take a guess as to which restaurant this sweet, innocent 3rd grader was talking about? Yup, Hooters... oh boy!

6. They remember what I teach them a whole week later! It's pretty amazing :) I'm not exactly used to that. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the kids I have worked with in the past, but this is certainly refreshing.

7. If I could, I would seriously take home each and every one of them. There really isn't a bad one in the bunch. Sure they get silly- cheating at games and sneaking links for their reward system- but they are just so full of joy. It's hard to get upset with any one of them.

7.5 I ran out of quick takes without sharing the best story yet. Now, I wasn't here for this one, but it's still just as good hearing it secondhand. So almost all of our kids take a bus to and from school. Each bus has a bus driver and an assistant. The kids wear a harness, so the assistant's job is to hook their harnesses on the bus. Keep that in mind as I continue. On the bus that most of my students take, it is a husband and wife team. The husband, Mr. E drives, and his wife assists on the bus. One day, one of the assistants in our classroom asked one of the kids who the lady was that helped Mr. E on the bus. Our student responded, "Oh, that's his hooker."
Original photo found here
(Keep in mind, this student has no clue of the meaning of the word you are probably thinking- I hope. He just knows she hooks his harness on the bus!) That goes down as one of the best stories to date at work.

And that is why the new classroom on my caseload rocks!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, the last one! I love how innocent kids are and they have no clue why we look at them funny when they say things like that. They all sound too cute and precious!

    ReplyDelete